Why is Content Marketing Important
When done right, content marketing can actually help businesses build a stronger online presence, reach audiences in huge quantity, and also offer new opportunities for building brand awareness.
Content marketing is mostly used by brands on social media. Social media marketing is much more than focusing on engagement such as likes, shares and retweets. By putting the focus on sharing quality content, a business can achieve greater things.
Let’s see why content is important and what it is capable of doing in any social media marketing strategy.
What is content marketing?
First, let’s start by defining content marketing. There are many definitions online, but this one sums ‘what content marketing is’ pretty well: “It is a type of marketing that involves the creation and sharing of online material (such as videos, blogs, and social media posts) that does not explicitly promote a brand but is intended to stimulate interest in its products or services”.
Content marketing is the favorite method of most marketing activity from brands. This is because it is able to raise brand awareness, build entire communities around a brand and, in the end, drive sales.
But the battle for social media users’ attention is an intense one. The tough competition has
been driving brands to come up with new content and ways to utilize it to win the attention of social media users. Pickle Sport Marketing can help with this.
Grow your audience
It takes a bit of time to figure out what types of content is best, but once you discover the right content that reaches your audience you will see it start to grow like never before.
The usual procedure consists of publishing content on your official website and promoting it on social media platforms. Unfortunately, brands want immediate results, and content marketing needs to build up momentum before it delivers obvious results. (We would say within 3 months with our Social Media Management)
This is why here at Pickle Sport Marketing we advise golf clubs to stay consistent with providing valuable content to their audience. To build momentum takes time to build, which is why an organic approach will help you build credibility and grow your audience at a slower pace.
Once you are sure that your content has value, you can use sponsored posts to increase growth but we would recommend you are only promoting content that is valuable and sends a positive message about your brand so it has the greatest impact when it reaches people interested in your service/product. Once you have figured out what content works best for you and is on brand then you can start to think about spending money of Facebook ads and google ads.
Connecting with your audience
The primary purpose of content marketing is to establish a connection between the audience and the brand, and not just any connection, but one where the audience has sympathy and empathy for the brand. Content has the power to make people feel passionate about the brand. Mainly because a successful content marketing campaign helps them see that they share the same values.
In marketing, this effect is called ‘Brand Affinity’. Once you successfully achieve it with proper content, it becomes the most powerful way to convince potential customers to become customers. This sounds great, but how can it be achieved?
In order to turn your content marketing strategy into a brand affinity strategy, you must provide unique and valuable content. A great way to start is to share and demonstrate the company’s values throughout the content you share on social media.
For example, if your golf club is looking to increase memberships of a young audience you might find a value/trend that sits with the audience you are targeting. Today, this might be equal rights so you may run a campaign about how you are incorporating equal playing opportunities within the club and share it with your audience for free.
Building brand awareness
By addressing specific subjects quite often from different point of views and making sure that you are giving your audience relevant, accurate and fresh content, your audience becomes aware of your brand when they think about golf. So where is it better to share your clever and honest insights than on social media.
People love to share valuable content. If you provide it to them, you can expect to gain publicity and engage many. Becoming an authority on a certain topic doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to use technical jargon. Content written in an easier to understand and read way is more likely to engage and build brand awareness.
6 types of content marketing that engages audiences
1. Videos – People love to see what is going on. An image impulses people to imagine what it feels like which is good, but a video brings it to life. Videos are a way of capturing more value to your audience which causes an increase in engagement on social platforms. Here is one we created for our social pages.
2. User Generated Content – If people are talking about you then this is a great sign but when they are trying to connect with you and tag your brand/place in a post. Re-post it engage with them directly on social media this might take a lot of time but trust us in the long run they will keep coming back if you are to engage with them directly where as if you don’t then you can wave bye to them coming back anytime soon.
3. Educational Posts – Your business is there to solve solutions to people’s problems. How-to educational posts are a great way to engage your audience especially if they are coming to you to find out what you have to offer. Free how-to videos allow you to reach your audience and show off what your brand has to offer. One of the ways you can do this for a golf club is to do some how to videos with your members or the pro.
4. Livestreams – Going live on social platforms is very useful these days as it allows you to engage your audience in real-time and give them the full insight to what is happening right now! people love it because it allows a closer, more intimate interaction in such a public space.
5. Blog Posts – Having a blog allows you to tell stories about what is happening each month/week. Blogs are a great way to get information out to your audience. One thing a blog post does is allows you to engage your audience that likes to know about your brand. This is a way to connect with your members in a golf club as many of them are interested about what is happening each week/month as they care for the golf club as it is their golf club.
6. Photos – Taking a beautiful photo allows people to imagine what it feels like to be there. We love the sunset pictures and we turn to a friend and say wouldn’t you love to be there. Now, it might not be as impressive as a video, but a beautiful scene picture is a great way to engage your audience.
As you can see, you need to use your social media platforms. In order to attract more people, and your content has to resonate well with your target audience. Before you devise your content marketing strategy, make sure to get to know your audience, so that you can discover what type of content will engage them the most.
At Pickle Sport Marketing we drive engagement using our sport marketing expertise. Check out our Instagram page and Facebook Page to see how we engage our audience and contact us today to start creating content that is engaging and driving sales each month.